Following on from last week’s summary of the Relay 1 conference, this is my (less well connected) summary of what I learnt at Relay 2.
- Malachi shows God’s condemnation of religiosity.
- When we don’t care about sin we cheapen grace and reduce our view of God.
- Half-hearted worship reveals we care about people seeing us look good, rather than caring about pleasing God.
- Everyone worships. Mission is about showing why God is more worthy of their worship than their idols are, and pointing them toward praising Him.
- Our motivation for mission should be knowing God is great and worthy of praise.
- All of life is about making God’s name great.
- We are not chosen by God because we are better than others, but because He displays His strength in our weaknesses.
- We need to know what people think we are saying when we talk to them about Jesus.
- It is Christlike to sacrifice comfort for the sake of others, not to expect them to become like us and enter our culture.
- Any privileges we have are given to us by God for the benefit of others.
- We engage with the world by thanking god for the goodness it has, rather than isolating it. We let blessings point to the Blesser, rather than making them an ultimate end in themselves.